The recent rapid advancement in the field of molecular biology has tremendously impacted the diagnosis and treatment of diseases tremendously. Molecular Diagnostic methods, which depend on the detection of DNA, RNA, or protein offer many advantages over the traditional methods used for the detection of diseases.
This 15 month Postgraduate diploma in molecular diagnosis is suitable for clinical laboratory science or biomedical technology graduates who wish to improve their knowledge and gain valuable experience in Molecular Diagnostics. The program will include lectures and laboratory courses that focus on the principles and applications of molecular diagnostics in the detection of different types of diseases and disorders.
Central to the development and maintaining standards of medical laboratories in this country is the availability of qualified, well-trained Saudi national laboratory specialists. This proposed program is for the training of Saudi nationals in the field of Molecular Diagnostics in order to be enrolled in national health program of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
This newly revolutionized diagnostic technique will pave the way for rapid and accurate identification of acquired, inherited, and infectious diseases, which will definitely revolutionize health care across a wide range of diseases and health conditions.
The Clinical Laboratory Science Department is committed to preparing well-educated, competent laboratory specialists in the field of molecular diagnostics who will contribute to the provision of quality healthcare.
To provide an advanced learning platform resulting in highly skilled laboratory professionals with the theoretical knowledge and the technical skills necessary to provide quality laboratory services in the field of molecular diagnostic techniques.
The main objectives of this program are to provide and train students in this newly emerging and rapidly evolving field of clinical laboratory medicine.
The program is designed to explain the theory and practical approaches of molecular diagnostic technology to detect and understand human diseases with the following general objectives:
• Providing an advanced knowledge of the molecular basis of human diseases.
• Identify the important parameters in laboratory design to conduct the most commonly-used molecular diagnostic protocols.
• Providing an advanced training on the application of molecular diagnostic techniques.
• Allowing students adequate time to integrate into an active research laboratory where they are able to develop the skills essential for considering a career in research.
• Carry out critical evaluation of published scientific papers so that they develop the ability to generate reports and interpret data.
• Identify the important parameters in the design of a quality control system for molecular analyses.
• Apply knowledge of cellular structure and function, especially DNA and RNA, to molecular diagnostic procedures.
• Acquire and apply thorough working knowledge of nucleic acid extraction, resolution and detection.
• Apply the knowledge of molecular testing to the most commonly performed applications in the clinical laboratory such as pathogenic microorganism identification, inherited diseases, personalized medicine, molecular oncology, and DNA-based tissue typing.
Program and Sponsorship and certification
Upon successful completion of this program, the graduate will receive a Postgraduate Diploma in Molecular Diagnostics from the Clinical Laboratory Science Department of Prince Sultan Military College of Health Sciences, Dhahran.
Candidates who are Saudi citizens must have:
• A minimum of good grade Bachelor degree preferably Clinical Laboratory Science from a recognized university.
• Applicants are expected to have an adequate command of English of 5.5 IELET or an equivalent.
• A minimum of two years experiences in a medical laboratory preferably in molecular diagnosis.
• Must have a valid registration as Medical Laboratory Specialist from the Saudi Commission of Health Specialties.
• Passing of the program’s admission examination and interview.
• Two reference letters.
Postgraduate Diploma in Molecular Diagnostics Study Plan
|S/N||Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|1||CLS 510||Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids & Proteins||3|
|3||CLS 512||Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics||3|
|4||CLS 513||Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory Techniques||4|
|5||CLS 520||Molecular Diagnostics I: Microorganisms and Inherited Diseases||4|
|6||CLS 521||Molecular Diagnostics II (Human Identification, Molecular Oncology, and DNA-Based Tissue Typing)||4|
|7||CLS 522||Quality Assurance in Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory||2|
|8||CLS 523||Research Methods||2|
|10||CLS 530||Research Project in molecular diagnostics||6|
|11||CLS 540||Clinical Laboratory Internship (3 months)||0|
For more information:
Dr. Salah Elsafi, Program Director
Tel: +966 13 8440000 EXT 5448
Ms. Salma Al Shammari , Postgraduate coordinator
Vice Deanship for Postgraduate Studies
Tel: +966 13 8440000 EXT 6288